One of the freshest and most beautiful Paris Fashion Week shows was the Issey Miyake collection for S/S ’14, which had a totally unique hair look that was both beautiful and bold to match. Created by Eugene Souleiman, Global Creative Director, Wella Professionals, it was called the “Minimal Mohawk” and despite the name could definitely translate from the runway to “real way” with aplomb.
“When is a Mohawk, not a Mohawk?” asked Souleiman, and the answer was clearly, “when it sits between two beautifully crafted French Pleats, to form a hair look that is both sophisticated yet at the same time, deeply cool”. He said that he wanted to create a look that was strong and tough but at the same time elegant and chic - “something that utilised old hairdressing techniques but applied in a more contemporary way”.
The resulting hair look mirrored the play on light within the collection and looked incredible from every angle.
To get the look:
1. Start with freshly washed and conditioned hair, using Wella Professionals Enrich Shampoo and Conditioner, to ensure hair is in perfect condition
2. Spray the hair with Wella Professionals Perfect Setting Blow Dry Lotion, and dry back away from the face, creating a clean silhouette
3. Section off the hair on both sides of the head, leaving a panel of hair through the middle section
4. One side at a time, gently backcomb the hair section by section, back-combing only the first 10-15cm, spraying with Wella Professionals Stay Styled Hairspray as you go
5. With a soft brush, brush this side section of hair, spraying with more Wella Professionals Stay Styled hairspray, and pulling it back to create a clean, sharp side section
6. Twist the hair into a French pleat and pin in place with hair grips
7. Repeat this process on the opposite side of the head
8. To style the middle section, spray Wella Professionals Stay Styled Hairspray into the roots of the front of the hair and brush backwards to create a smooth clean finish at the front
9. Gently brush the middle section of hair backwards, positioning the ‘mohawk’ between the two French Pleats
10. Finally, spritz Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz Beach Texture Spray lightly through the ends of the hair to create a dry, slightly static quality to the hair which contrasts against the clean shine of the side sections