I’m always on the lookout for a great waxing specialist to recommend to people, and it’s definitely one of the treatments I get asked most about. Having a person you trust implicitly – especially when the knickers come off! – is essential, so when I meet a good one I’m always keen to spread the word.
Last week I went into the Grey Lynn location of Bare Waxing and Skin Care to see the lovely Bridie, and can definitely highly recommend. Summer is approaching fast and that means bikini season is almost here, so the sooner you can get into the routine of regular waxing the better. Bridie was one of the fastest wxing specialists I’ve ever tried as well as one of the most thorough – it was all no-nonsense and the end result was fantastic. And I was out of there before I even realized it – bonus!
Before you head off to your waxing appointment, there are a few things you can do to make it relatively pain free and as easy as possible for both you and your waxer. Bare put together some of their ‘top tips’ to help you on your way, and were happy for me to share them:
- Plan to wax after your period. Your pain threshold is higher in the week after your period than beforehand. Generally you are more sensitive to pain just before and during your period.
- Pain Relief. Take two Panadol or Neurofen about 30-45 minutes before your wax – this can help reduce any localised pain and also acts as an anti-inflammatory.
- Schedule your appointment between 3pm and 5pm. Research show this is when our pain threshold is at its highest.
- Exfoliate 24-48 hours beforehand. This will help remove dead skin and lift the shorter hairs allowing for the wax to more easily grip the hair.
- Breathe. Taking a deep breath as the wax goes on, and a short exhale as it comes off really does help.
- Be regular. Regular monthly waxes (especially down there!) mean hair is more easily removed and the waxing experience is a whole lot quicker.
- Wax Quality. Make sure your therapist is using a hot wax for your bikini area – this is the wax that grips only to your hair rather than your skin. Not only is it a lot less painful, but you will get a better result and decrease any likelihood of skin lifting.
To find out more about Bare Waxing – or to book in with the wonderful Bridie - visit www.barewaxing.co.nz. They also offer eyebrow threading, spray tanning, Dermalogica skin treatments and products, make-up application, manicures, pedicures so you may even be able to kill a few birds with one stone/appointment!Tweet